LA Fitness Personal Training SCAM!

Apr 08, 2009
review #147326

I am a recent member of LA Fitness as of March 4, 2009.My intentions going in were originally signing up basically for the $29.99 a month membership.

Upon discussion with the manager about various membership options I was also informed of how beneficial the personal training can be. I was open to a few training sessions so I then was sent over to the office of the manager of personal training, and he went over some of the personal training plans that they have. I was very apprehensive to agree to any of this due to the high cost of training but he kept negotiating with me until we came to some sort of an agreement. He told me what he could do for me and this was the plan: $160.00 for 4 training sessions a month and an additional free 12 sessions just for signing up, totaling 16 sessions.

He then told me that If I wanted to reach my physical goal I would probably need a year of personal training. I was interested but explained to them that I am an unemployed, full time college student and that I was not sure if I could afford $160.00 a month for a full year. He then explained to me that I could sign up for a year of training at $160.00 a month and if I ever wanted to cancel I would just have to cancel 30 days before the next payment is withdrawn. After a month of training I have decided that I want to cancel the training and just continue with a regular membership.

So today I called and spoke with training manager and explained to him that I want to cancel training due to finances and just that I didn't want a trainer anymore and he said that he would freeze the next 2 payments so I can think about it before I really just cancel. I agreed to it and then this evening found I had a $30.00 charge on my account. I called and spoke with him again and he explained that there is a $15.00 charge for every month the payment is frozen. I was upset when he told me this because he never informed me of this when he placed the freeze and I didn't, and would not have agreed to this charge.

I then told him that I want to cancel my training all together and he told me I can't or I will be charged for 50% of the remaining 11 months of training (approximately $880.00!!!). Never was any of this explained to me at the time I agreed to the training. He told me I could cancel anytime! They completely misrepresented what was in "the contract." This is the biggest scam and I am taking them to small claims court.

They are the worst company I have ever dealt with!!!!Beware!

a94def3
Had an experience with LA Fitness?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Jack

Aug 03

LA Fitness is a credit card, debit card, and bank account money laundering scheme masquerading as a gym.
I have been receiving phone calls on my cell phone multiple times per day looking for two women because their credit card expired. They are using high pressure tactics to get the updated credit card information, but here is the problem....
They have the wrong phone number! I have never even stepped foot in an LA Fitness, yet I have received phone calls from locations in Texas, California, and Illinois, and I don't live in any of these states.
Part of the scam is that they provide a nationwide database of gym memberships where credit cards have expired or bank accounts cannot have money automatically deducted from. Representatives are then given commissions for individuals billing information, hence the nationwide "hunt" for former members info.
I had pleaded with their so called "representatives" for weeks to stop calling my cell phone, as they had the wrong number. Finally, I had an idea. A woman called from LA Fitness looking for these two women. Pretending to be shocked, I said, "you are calling for who? They both died last week."
And you know what? The LA Fitness "billing representative" could not make the account inactive or remove my phone number! She said she did not have "access." "So how can I have these calls stop consider the people you want to speak to are dead." The answer was startling. "You will have to go to an LA Fitness branch to cancel
... Show more

jl12345

Mar 24

This is so true! They don't tell you its a 52 week contract and they rush you through signing up. And they make you sign the computer pad and you don't have a piece of paper in front of you! I love the personal training when I received it but I am moving to a different state and there is not an LA Fitness near by and they refuse to let me cancel, they wont even let me pay half of the remaining. They said I am stuck with it until the end. How can they do this?! :?

Jan 08

Something similar happened to me and my husband. We lost a lot of money... a few months later we got a notice that LA Fitness had been sued for this reason.

Brialeigh

Oct 07, 2013 Kirkland, Washington

It is not a scam. The personal trained tells all of their customers that they can cancel at any time. You can. You just have to pay 50% of the remaining balance due for the rest of your sessions. They TELL YOU this when you first sign up. It is ALSO WRITTEN in the contract. I am on month 9 of my personal training with LA and I am very happy with it. I have lost a lot of weight and have become buddies with my trainer. Next time, read the damned fine print and quit calling it a scam. It is not a scam. Their contract is public knowledge. All gyms operate in similar ways.

Don't blame them for your own personal ignorance.

0 5 Reply
Baby

Mar 22

Totally agreed! I just joined their 52 weeks training program! Yeah!

0 4 Reply
Chino

Sep 19, 2013 Orlando, Florida

I am having the same problem I recently moved back to the states and joined the club in orlando. I was happy that they gave me a free training session but little did I know that it was a scam. The Trainer Reuben did not go over anything so i thought it was a month to month contract and I did not realize it was a year, his response was its all in the contract and he hides behind corporate. I decided to stick with it , although it would be easy just to block my acct. But know I have the problems with the scheaduling. I have had several cancaeld on there part or I have set a lot of appointments and show up but the not in the system. I have spoke to v Vanessa in corporate and several other people but they are of no help. I have done everything possible and have given them every opportunity. THE PERSONAL TRAINING CONTRACT IS A SCAM! ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Fuc

Aug 04, 2013 Flint, Michigan

You ***, how do you expect ppl to make money? And that sakes guy might of been a smooth talker but YOU signed the contract and the checklist.

0 2 Reply
IWin

Aug 03, 2013 Davie, Florida

that was the personal trainer sales manager that got you to sign up.
This is how it works: Hot guy/girl "personal trainer" will offer to train you for free for two or three sessions to lure you in. What they don't tell you is that they really are the sales manager for personal training and work on commission.

Once they have you sign the contract they pass you off to an personal trainer that is in their facility. The sales manager for personal trainers is usually a certified personal trainer, but their focus is sales, not training. The person that makes you sign the contract does get a commission out of every contract that is signed. It is unfortunate, but that's how it works. The sales guy is only there to close a sale on you and pass you off to one of their personal trainers so they can go in for the next kill.

Usually, the sales person is someone really hot that is a good bullshitter. They are trained to withold any information that may sway you to not sign up. Also, do note that even if you move to a area where another LA Fitness is located, that contract is not valid at the new location. I had this issue happen to me. Thankfully, I only moved 30 minutes away from the gym I initially signed my personal trainer contract with. My new place had a LA Fitness accross the street from me, I could work out at that gym, but all my personal training sessions had to be done at my old location. I'm actually pretty upset about it.

In all
... Show more

Tonya

Aug 02, 2013 Richmond, Virginia

This is completely true!!! I am going through the same thing with them right now. BEWARE! They are scammers. They do not completely explain this to you when signing up. The membership is great, but the personal training aspect of it is absolutely the worst experience I've had with any company. Ever.

Canadian

Aug 02, 2013

I'm from Canada & an LA fitness member...for 4 years and can't say I haven't had issues there myself! Ie. being overcharged by $60 and months later not getting it back and I can't be bothered because most of the staff is incompetent anyways. Education is key folks!

Jul 22, 2013

I was just told the same thing as many people here. That I could not cancel my personal training contract without buying myself out of it even though the trainer who signed me up specifically said I could cancel at any time.

I just called my lawyer and told him to write a letter, I am not giving them a dime.

This link has great advice on how to get out:

Lol

Jun 04, 2013 Oslo, Oslo

I dont see the reason for any complaint here to be honest. Everything is written in the contract,always read it no matter what:) Otherwise,the deals were actually pretty nice and pretty much standard process.

0 2 Reply

Nov 03, 2013

You say "read the contract" which is the smart thing to do but this is automated and you sign electronically before any contract receipt is given to you. And that occurs after you have given them your check and it is processed. Therefore it is only possible to READ the contract AFTER you have already signed it. SHAME on LA Fitness.

4 0 Reply
anonymous

May 22, 2013

Maybe you should have read the contract before you signed it, and done research before hand.

0 3 Reply
judith

Nov 13, 2012 Los Angeles, California

The LA FITNESS in Westwood/Gayley in Los Angeles is the biggest scam! A bunch of scam artists work there. The guy kept following me and harrasing me to sign up for personal training. I told him I only want to do it for a month. He said "Sure, you just pay as you go, and you can cancel anytime!" Now, when I want to cancel it, they won't let me. I called the corporate office too. No help there! On top of it, I injured my back during the training. I am in severe back pain! I tell them that and they just laugh at me! They lie and they are the most careless people I have ever met!

Mandana

Nov 02, 2012

Almost the same Situation happend to me in Los Angeles at the Universal City Gym. I work a lot but i have a very unsteady work situation were I don't know how much or for how long I will work. So I started calling them right away that I was wanted to cancel. I have been calling for two weeks now and in the beginning I was patient then after a week of calling once a week, I started calling several times a day. The poor frontdesk kids appologizing and promising that they had delivered messages. Involving a very nice Opperations Manager form another LA Fitness that actually cared. I finally JUST got my membership canceled through cooperate. And I hope that is the last I hear of this issue.

LA fitness

Oct 31, 2012

people we bettet stay away from LA fitness i hoop they will bankrapt son :cry

1 1 Reply
Natalie

Oct 30, 2012

I agree, total scam. I live in Pittsburgh and went into the LA fitness location at Settlers Ridge today and had my free one hour assessment with a trainer. I knew off the bat that I wanted to work with the personal trainer, and this gentleman asked me what the total amount I could spend a week was ( totally inappropriate) and I said I would like to see the training prices and packages available so I could make a decision, he told me that " I shouldnt pay attention to that, what is a ballpark amount a week) I said again, that I would like to see the prices, and he to refused to tell me, Finally, I said I could probably spend 100 max a week. ( the package for a session 3x a week for 52 weeks is 81 dollars per week--I found out afterwards) after telling him this, he pulled out a sheet of paper, and wrote in pen that the price of 3x a week was 130'dollars a week. ( I didn't know the prices at the time so I thought he was being honest) I thought it was pricey but agreed. After the contract was drawn he told me " I'll tell you what I'm going to do, and you will want to hug me after I tell you this, but you can't because I would get in trouble, but I'll give you 5 sessions a week for the price of 3" Turns out he wrote the price for 5 sessions a week as the price for 3 and put that into my contract without me knowing, TOTAL SCAM. then tried to pull the wool over my eyes. Luckily, my mother works in law and informed me that under PA law you can cancel any contract within 3 business... Show more

Shravan

Oct 08, 2012

Hi, i was a member of LA Fitness and in july i moved where there is no LA Fitness and according to my contract they have to cancel my account but when i asked them they asked me to send a proof of address and when i asked them if i can send my phone bill they said its ok and i sent it but still i was receiving emails for payments, then i contacted them again and asked about the issue then they said they just want either electricity or water or gas bill and they dont accept even my apartment leasing document and then i had to pay 850 dollars to get out of contract and if i dont pay eventually that will effect my credit. LA Fitness is a big scam, its better to join anyother gym than LA Fitness.

Alison

Aug 30, 2012

Just cancel your card...that's what my banker told.me to do about these recurring billing contracts. I did it with LA Fitness. Companies will bombard you with messages because they vwant your business back, but they won't take legal action. You have every right to cancel your card.

1-20 of 135 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about LA Fitness.
Filing a new complaint about
×