Washington, District Of Columbia

When you sign up for LA fitness they pride themselves at advertising how flexible your membership is. If you want to stop coming all you have to do is say so, we will freeze your account and it will be there for you when you are ready to return. The membership is on a month by month basis and you can cancel anytime. Yada, yada, yada. I am sure many current or past members can confirm this. BUT. When you try to cancel they will not let you. They tell you that you must print out a form, fill it out, and mail it. Provide them 30 days notice, and then your account will be cancelled. This is a TOTAL scam to get 1 or 2 additional months out of you at a minumum. Multiply that by the number of people in your family, say 4 @ $37 per month and that is a rip off of at least 2x4x37=$296. That is if you get off with just that. I am in the process of cancelling the credit card they have on file with the hopes that they don't charge my other accounts as some other reports here indicate that they will go after your other accounts. IT IS A TOTAL SCAM. With gas prices today and the current economy why would anyone 'kill a tree', 'pay for postage', 'pay a postal worker', 'burn fossil fuel', then 'pay for postage processing' in order to cancel an account? THE ANSWER IS ........... ... .. .. drum roll -> TO RIP YOU OFF. Before you consider joining an LA Fitness make sure you have at least 6 months extra dues because that is resonable reserve and what it takes to cancel your membership.

Hank

Pembroke Pines, Florida

U.S.A.

Product or Service Mentioned: La Fitness Membership.

Comments

I am not sure that having one bad credit problem on your entire credit report would matter as the economy is soooo bad right now (have a score of 710). I'm going to go ahead and lose my card with the bank, not take their calls, and send in my cancellation notice for the training and membership...

It took me 3 months to cancel, really got messed around. The club told me to ring customer services, customer services told me to go to the gym etc etc etc.

I got 1 months back after i threatened to take them to the small claims court. Also the cancel@lafitness.co.uk does not work (this breaks their contract, so I am told)

Deanfaust

Dont cancel your credit card just put a freeze on it. Cancelling a card can damage your credit.