All negative reviews covering this process are absolutely accurate, and while one might think the LA Fitness would improve their policies and procedures, one would be dead wrong. A couple of amplifying observations from 2015:
1) Should you wish to cancel, you will be told that you have to come to the facility personnally between 9:00 - 5:00 on a weekday, and that only the Operations Manager can handle the cancellation.
2) The operating manager will never be available to complete the cancellation. Sound ridiculous? It's not -- and calling ahead will ensure that they have left the building in advance of your visit.
3) Once you initiate the process, get ready for dozens of annoying phone call from all over the country enjoining you to renew your credit card information and memberhsip. Explaining that all you're trying to do is cancel the membership will gain you nothing -- they're not interested in hearing it. Nor are they particularly polite.
4) The online cancellation option is a joke. It's really just a shortcut that allows you to print the cancellation form referenced in the review below, which you will then have to deliver to the OM during the hours of 9:00 - 5:00... Yeah, we got that part before. Good think you don't have to work, isn't it.
5) Published advice about getting someone to sign and date your cancellation form when delivered is absolutely critical, because the charges against your credit card will likely just keep on coming as described. I suspect this organization has as many lawyers on staff as personal trainers, just to handle irrate customers and recovery suits.
My advice -- don't join, and save yourself the eventual headache and hassle.
Product or Service Mentioned: La Fitness Facility.
Reason of review: Poor customer service.
La Fitness Cons: Cancellation policy and procedure.