Farmingdale, New York
2.3
Cleanliness

I joined Farmingdale LAF because it was local and had a swimming pool. After my 2 1/2 year, steadily attended membership here and consistently ignored and unanswered response to several inquiries & concerns about poor maintenance, broken down equipment, cleanliness, I could no longer justify paying the monthly membership fee for this poorly maintained and managed facility.

Unless there has been a miracle renovation and a change in management in the last 4 months since I cancelled my membership, this facility is a blight in comparison to other LAF facilities i have been to, all of which are newer. Much of the equipment is gritty, broken down and unkept, the carpeting is dingy, busted lockers, showers moldy, sauna and hot tub poorly maintained or in disrepair. Apparently, in order to cut costs and not have to hire two housekeeping attendants at the same time this facility has a male attendant clean the woman's locker room and a female attendant clean the men's locker at various time slots. ''Sorry for the inconvenience'' is the mantra here.

And the pool? In the years I was a member (and swam there 4 times a week at diff times of day and evening) I never saw the pool cleaned or vacuumed once. In addition to the ever present algae, tiles above water level (many broken along the edge) grew increasingly filthy as they were never scrubbed , water temp was inconsistent and over clorinated. There was also a problem with a crumbling part of the ceiling over the pool which took at least a year to repair, despite having to close down the pool whenever it rained and leaked into it!

Other than that, the pool would be shut down one week during the year for ''maintenance'' and whenever it reopened, nothing appeared to have been done. The adjoining hot tub was consistently broken and just prior to my leaving it was shut down for about two months before it was repaired. The final straw for me came when this facility quietly and unbeknownst to members became a kiddie swimming school (where one lane would be left open for membership swimmers while classes for diappered babies and children took place.) Got nothing against kids learning how to swim, but not at an adult health club. As a year round swimmer, the reason I patronized this facility was because they had a pool and as i tried to work things out in a reasonable manner with the management there( who talk down to their patrons btw) and eventually the corporate HQ, the issues were never addressed or resolved.

What is most amazing is that this place hasn't been cited by the Dept of Health.

The reason I'm posting this 4 months since my last visit there is due to the continuing 'blanket' emails I get from LAF corporate office saying that 'they want me back'. Could they be missing the point?

Product or Service Mentioned: La Fitness Facility.

Reason of review: poor customer service AND bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments