Tampa, Florida

Update by user Jul 20, 2012

Currently the takeover by LA fitness has been without issues. They have offered jobs to all of LFF employees and have praised the excellent customer service provided by LFF and say they wish to continue this.

They have currently honored my membership cost and related amenities. Time will only tell just how well this works out!

Original review posted by user Jun 19, 2012

NOW THAT LA Fitness took over Bally's in Florida it is now eating up its only competition, Lifestyles Family Fitness! LA Fitness cannot compare to Lifestyles in cleanliness, and customer service!! Have tried many fitness centers. This is very bad for the consumer!!! The only fitness centers left are small centers with few amenities!! I am thoroughly disgusted to see LA Fitness take over the BEST fitness center I have ever experienced! What about this monopolistic move ?? Where are the feds on this one??

I can only ASSUME greed had allot to do with it. Lifestyles has a loyal following and has been the ONLY true competition for LA Fitness. Now it will control memberships and amenities without the consumer having much of a choice! Watch how in time the current Lifestyle Fitness centers go downhill!

We are going back in time to the days of fitness club consumers being at the mercy of the corporate (greed) entity. I am thoroughly disgusted with this final death knoll for family friendly and customer friendly fitness. Ugh!

Comments

#791955

When companies become successful, they quickly forget to provide quality customer service. I am very disappointed tin the fact that LA Fitness has such a commanding share of the market in the Metropolitan Detroit area.

Although my personal interest in fitness is temperamental; my current disbelief in their lack of quality customer service has peaked my interest.

D. Evans

After paying $700 to Karen M. Joseph for 6 months of training and dieting, all hard work just recently came to a screeching halt.

I entered the Tampa Bay Classic competition and since it was so hot that day my hair kept falling flat & the women in my category are judged on their complete appearance?. I left to curl my hair, came back (about 2 hours BEFORE my stage time) ready to take my bag to the entertainer's dressing room when Miss Joseph, in front of my Mother and friends, began her tantrum by asking where I'd been". I began to let her know that I was in the entertainers prep". area instead of the main bathroom because there was no mirror by the outlets in that space and sh cut me off, got progressively louder, and called me inconsiderate, physically lunged at me then pointed her finger in my face! All of out of no where and in front of family and friends?.

Her personality has been questionable from the start, as far as her intentions, but I disregarded everything because she came so highly recommended by a close friend of mine;. This friend also let me know that Miss Joseph had been "nit picking" about really small and unimportant things and telling either full on lies and half truths about what I've been doing/. She's untrustworthy.. One of the friends who've witnessed this said that if it had happened to her, she'd quit too because that type of behavior from someone who's supposed to be a mentor is unacceptable!

Karen told me the next day not to come to a meeting and that she'd be discussing my standing with group with Carrie Pollaro!. I let her know that I don't like working with people who make me feel threatened and don't like me ...and feeling pushed out for no reason and harassed, I told her that we should just call it quits and that i'd discuss my refund with her at a later time. Boy, did I stop getting harassing calls after I mentioned the refund. I haven't gotten it yet and am waiting on this paperwork Carrie told me i'd receive within 30 days. They also have my photo up....still on their page. I got ripped off and I'm still helping them out???? I need legal assistance. I believe Karen chose to pick on me because I'm not an intimidating personality & not married.

Bad companies taking over small good companies resulting in the limited choice for consumers. LA Fitness has a tracking record of HORRENDOUS customer service (more like non-existent Customer Service), Dirty facilities, unprofessional employees and broken equipment that goes for weeks and sometimes up to months with our repair or replace.

Now, the only national corporate competition left is 24 Hour Fitness and they are not expanding fast enough in the East Coast.

Can we as consumers need to do something about this. Let's contact the FTC and voice our opinion on this let's see if we can put an end to this monopoly from limiting choices when it comes to gym memberships.

#791956
@Perrey

After reading these posts, I am so glad they did not re open my membership under the terms of my 2012 agreement. Hmm, I initially thought they were just an unapproachable company because they were doing well; the serious customer service issues and problems with facilities being up to par are scary!

Jaburky, my name is Jamal Thalji and I'm a reporter from the Tampa Bay Times. I'm writing a story about the L.A.

Fitness takeover of Lifestyle.

If you would like to speak to our newspaper, please contact me at thalji@tampabay.com. Thanks.

Wow! This is worse than I thought! What a shame!

I totally agree! Im a Lifestyle employee, a true professional personal trainer, and LA came in with one day notice that they were cutting my benefits, i lost all insurance, vaca pay, and went from full time to part time and i will never lower my standards as a professional to this low class company.