Los Angeles, California

I signed up for an LA Fitness member ship last year and shortly after was pursued by several of the membership team to sign up for personal training. I did sign up for personal training and was told that I could cancel or suspend my training sessions whenever I chose.

Not long after signing up for personal training I was very unhappy with my trainer, who told "You're just wasting your time" when I complained of a physical limitation that I informed him of before we ever began training sessions. He was very disrespectful, condescending, and offensive.

Just as I was ready to request another trainer, I found myself unemployed, without health insurance and facing two health issues that prevented me from continuing my training. Because of my health concerns, I was not willing to take the risk of further injury, not having health insurance.

Since that time, I have talked to three different employees trying to resolve this issue and have my personal training sessions discontinued. I even went to the expense of having a doctor wright a recommendation that I not continue. First, they would not accept it, stating that the wording was not correct and that it must state that I have a "permanent disability". Second, they conveniently lost it, and I had not made a copy of it (my fault there!)

Eventually I was allowed to talk to the manager, to whom I went into great detail for about my medical condition and my financial quandary. He assured me that it would be taken care of and not to worry, that his superior would have the proper access codes to cancel my training sessions and that it would be done that day. I was relieved and thanked him profusely.

The next day I got a call from that same manager explaining that his regional manager had informed him that company policies had changed and it was not possible to cancel my personal training after all.

So now I just feel like I was lied to and told whatever would get me out the door and out of their way.

I had to eventually go to my bank and request a stop payment on the auto pay of $200 a month. That didn't work either, so now I am also looking at hundreds of dollars of over draft fees because of it.

DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING WITH LA FITNESS. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE WELL BEING OF THEIR PATRONS. THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT MAKING MONEY, EVEN IF IT RUINS PEOPLE FINANCIALLY.

I am BEYOND PISSED> I'm irate, and would never recommend LA Fitness to anyone. They are a scam operation.

Product or Service Mentioned: La Fitness Personal Trainer.

Comments

#719544

Advice to anyone going through this....Go to your bank and demand that they assist you in accordance with Federal Regulation E.

You fill out the form and the MUST reverse the charge. Its the law. If the bank continues to give you a hard time say you were advised to report them and the situation to the banking commission for your state. Find the name of this agency for your state prior to going to the bank.

Moral of the story, don't sign contracts even if they say their isn't one. LA Fitness is a legit business with a notorious shady and borderline unethical business practices. I would almost always advise someone to steer clear of this company.

All you have to do is close your bank acct. Possibly change banks too.

If you ever sign up for a gym membership again, use a credit card. Never give your bank acct. I recommended that for anything.

So much easier to reverse charges on credit cards than electronic funds transfers. Good luck.