Troy, Michigan
2.6
Cleanliness

In August of 2014, I signed on for a year of personal training at 45 dollars per session (ie $90 per month) In January, I started to experience pain in my joints and was unable to go for my sessions that I had been paying for. I spoke to the PT manager at the LAF that I was a member at and he told me that I had nothing to worry about and that my sessions would be in the "bank" for me to use once I was able to start working out again.

After several months of being unable to go to the gym and have personal training sessions, I attempted to go back only to find out that the personal that I had been training with was no longer employed there and that I would have to find another trainer. I told them that I wanted to cancel the payments from my credit card since I had a large number of sessions in my "bank". I was advised that I would be able to cancel my personal training contract (15 months in...I was committed to a 12 month contact!!) and that the sessions would still be good. The PT manager told me that he would have to call "corporate" to get them reinstated but that "is never a problem."

In November 2015, I officially terminated the Personal training contract IN PERSON with the PT manager. He told me to let them know when the sessions disappeared from my account and he would contact their corporate office to get them reinstated on my behalf.

I noticed on Sunday that my sessions had disappeared and I went into the LA Fitness facility and spoke to the Assistant PT manager directly. He told me that he would contact corporate and have the sessions reinstated for me.

Yesterday, this same Assistant PT manager contacted me to let me know that they will not reinstate the sessions that I had already paid for and that the only way that they would do it was if I signed up for a contract where I paid for one session a month until I was able to use up the sessions.

This is a prime example of how LA Fitness uses the Sunk Cost Fallacy to entrap people into signing contracts with them. Given that over the term of my contract I have only received 14 sessions (not to mention the 7 "free" sessions that they give you over the contract)

Upon cancelling my contract, I had 33 sessions in my "bank" that I am never going to get to use if they don't reinstate my sessions!!!!!!

I am so incredibly pissed off right now that I am going to tell everyone that I see for a VERY, VERY long time!!!!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: La Fitness Personal Trainer.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

La Fitness Pros: Location, Cleanliness.

La Fitness Cons: Deceiving contracts, Dishonest sales people, Poor customer service.

• LA Fitness scam
  • Sunk Cost

Comments

That is actually illegal and actionable. Take action.