745 Arden Ln, Rock Hill, SC 29732, USA
2.4
Additional Fees
Cleanliness
Equipment Quality

(This happened to me back in 2016. I'm just posting it for the first time because I feel I need to warn others about the deceptive business practices of this company)

LA Fitness in Rock Hill SC not only treats their members poorly but apparently their lower level staff poorly as well. The gym itself is VERY nice and has anything a newbie could ever want and use. I signed up for a 2 year contract membership, and a 12 month personal training membership that strained my budget. Yes I understood the contracts and was okay with that. The first few training sessions were with the head training manager. He wanted to make SURE I got the best experience possible. After that I had to make several attempts to schedule a trainer during my available time outside of work. I was allotted 2 25-minute training sessions a week. When I succeeded scheduling and showed up to my training session I was instructed to walk on a treadmill for 10 minutes, reducing my training time to 15 minutes. I took it the first time. The second session I came in early and warmed up before the session started. When I was instructed to do the same I told the trainer I had already warmed up. The trainer told me to get back on the treadmill and do it again for 10 minutes and walked away. By this time I was pretty appalled and angry.

After the third session I asked the front desk to get me the training manager to complain about this waste of my money, and promptly found out that the young girls at the desk were trained to deflect. They told me the manager was not available even when I looked to the left and saw him at his desk with other employees. I called her out on it and started to walk over to him. The desk girl called to him and he literally RAN to another office and closed the door. She then got very rude and told me THAT manager could do nothing and I would have to talk to the Operations Manager who wasn't there. And never was, as I found out as time went by.

My 5th training session I show up and stand around for 15 minutes before I approached The Deflectors, asking where my trainer was. He quit. I'd "have to reschedule". "Nothing they could do." 6th, 7th, 8th session, new trainer, then quits. Same thing a third time, and at this point I had lost 4 training sessions. The Deflectors reassured me I had 30 days after the contract to make them up.

4th trainer was actually an honest, cool guy. After a few sessions he admitted to me the trainers were being harassed and abused by management and that he was quitting soon too. I told him I wasn't happy with the training program and didn't know how to get out of it. He told me cancelling my payment card was the only option for that gym and that the managers were specifically trained to deflect and do nothing to continue to charge members. He also told me several of his clients were able to cancel successfully by getting their lawyers involved.

For several nights I lost sleep researching literally thousands of complaints from several websites about LA Fitness. I found a post from a former personal training manager stating that it's ok to cancel your payment card since they couldn't report to the credit bureaus because they didn't record SSNs. So that's what I did.

I received no blowback, only relentless collection calls on the hour to which I played a game I call "Whack a Number". I blocked every number that came my way until they eventually stopped. I'm also banned from LA Fitness for life, or until I pay them $1,200 for "bailing on my contract". I'm not too sad about that at all. I am proudly banning myself from LA Fitness for life.

My best advice to anyone seeking a gym is to find a locally owned gym that has NO contracts. It supports the local economy and you won't be dealing with anything like this.

Product or Service Mentioned: La Fitness Personal Training.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

La Fitness Pros: Facility.

La Fitness Cons: Totally misleading, Cancellation policy and procedure, Make it impossible to cancel your membership, Unprofessional.

• LA Fitness scam