Smithtown, New York
1.8
Cleanliness

I joined my 15 year old autistic/apraxic son for the pool. He is in special olympics swim which only meets once a week now. I sat for over an hour with the sales representative explaining that he would always need someone with him because he is autistic and non-verbal (doesn't talk). After explaining explaining his disabilities... him going back and forth to, what I assumed was the manager, he said someone could always come with him. I told him I would like to work out without him He said, "I can add you for $20."Okay great. He printed out a key card for my son.Then I asked why I didn't get a card like my son. He replied, "Oh just tell them your telephone number." In addition he had me pay 2 months up front. (Which was never recouped, $129). I didn't question it. Apparently a huge mistake.

2 months went by and I took my son swimming at least 5 days a week. I never went to the gym... until the other day. I was TURNED DOWN! I was told that I couldn't work out without him. THAT WAS NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD. Okay, so I called and finally dug out the 2 months billing too. Not only was I paying $20 a month to walk in with my son as his "shadow"... but they were tacking on $5 a month for a racquetball fee. WHAT?! Never did he tell me that either.

After an hour on the phone with California operation... they informed me that I could use my Bally membership. WHAT?! I asked Lafitness in 2011 if it transferred over and they said, "NO." The girl to this date related that because I didn't pay , it expired. HOW COULD I PAY IF THEY TOLD ME IT DIDN'T TRANSFER AND I WAS GIVEN NO WHERE TO PAY A BILL????

So, I have been paying for nothing $74 roughly in addition to another $15 for the racquetball courts.

I think the whole situation stinks and it's obvious they took advantage of a single mom with a special needs kid. Again, my mistake. All this to try and squeeze money from me? I will never trust anyone again in this type of situation and actually would rather pay an attorney to look over the contract with me or come with me. I'm not sure how long we will be there. I am disgusted.

I suggest to stick with the $99 initiation fee with a membership fee... like stated in their ads, the reason I went in... but walked out SCREWED by LAFITNESS!

Product or Service Mentioned: La Fitness Membership.

Reason of review: Not as described/ advertised.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

• Lafitness Membership