Martin H Cux

Membership Fraud

My training membeship contract is no longer effective in at branch CLIFTON FITNESS IN NEW JERSEY. Without any invoice or notice they renewed by Training Membership to 23 sessions. My name is Martin Herskowitz 80 Amsterdam Ave Passaic N.J.07055...# 718.404.2344 Should I seek legal counsel ? Thank you for your cooperation
Cons:
  • Organization

Preferred solution: Price reduction

Jacqueline J Ohm

| map-marker Encinitas, California

Personal training

La Fitness - Personal training
Im not really pissed off but I do have a question about the personal training flyer I received at the LA Fitness I belong to in Encinitas, CA. The flyer (I received in the last 2 weeks)mentioned 3 choices for a personal trainer. 1) Month to Month 2) 6 Month Term 3) A La Carte Because of my needs and finances I chose the A la Carte option and was told that is no longer an option. My question is why is it an option on the flyer? Photo of flyer attached:
Pros:
  • Absolutely love the facility in encinitas ca

Preferred solution: I would like to get the A La Carte option advertised in the flyer at my LA Fitness Club

John Napoli

Verified Buyer

| map-marker New York, New York

Horrible Costomer Service and Deceptive Practices

La Fitness - Horrible Costomer Service and Deceptive Practices
La Fitness - Horrible Costomer Service and Deceptive Practices - Image 2

I was given a free personal training session from Theresa Curci. Then was asked to sign up for a personal trainer.

I told Theresa I would try it for a few months and see how I liked it. Was given the phone number of my trainer and I tried to contact her to set up an appointment with no luck. I then called Theresa and was told to come in, and she would have a trainer for me. John trained me that day.

Two days, I found out John was the janitor of the gym!!! The next two weeks I trained with my trainer with one session being 45 minutes late. Week 4 my trainer was a no show again!!! At this point I was not happy with this service and tried to find Theresa to cancel, but she was nowhere to be found, I asked for gym Manager, and he told me I needed to speak to Theresa only she could help me.

Well, she ducked me for 4 attempts to speak to her. On the 5th attempt I got her and was informed the contract I signed was for a year, I asked her why I was not told that when I said I'll try it for a few months. I tried to get her to contact her superior and she just walked away with the gym manager in tow. I sat there for 1 hour and 30 minutes by myself, they would poke their heads out occasionally to see if I was still there.

The gym manager eventually spoke to me about my contract and how I could get out of it by buying it out for $800. Pretty good for the guy that told me he could not help me. Now Theresa and the gym manager won't even talk or look at me. Very Professional!!!

Was informed from another LA Fitness location, Theresa was transferred from that gym because she was having similar problems!!! She is untrustworthy, deceitful and misleading.

She is untrustworthy, deceitful, and misleading!!!

Maybe that is how she was trained!!!

If so, shame on LA Fitness!!!

Pros:
  • Gym it self is fine
Cons:
  • Customer service after you sign a contract is horrible
  • Sleight of hand on the personal training contract

Preferred solution: contract canceled and apology

User's recommendation: Avoid Theresa she is untrustwothy, deceitful and missleading

Guest

HELLO, 3 THINGS - 1. CALL L.A.

FITNESS CORPORATE OFFICER (949) 255-**** To reach LA Fitness corporate headquarters complaints department. 2. GO TO BBB.ORG TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. YOU CAN FILE BY LOCATION.

3. IF YOU USED A CREDIT CARD OR DEBIT CARD, DISPUTE THE TRANSACTION AS FRAUDULENT. IF YOU WROTE A CHECK DO THE SAME. 4.

GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND DON'T PAY A FEE TO BREAK THE CONTRACT. READ THE FINE PRINT.

Julia S Dij

| map-marker Village Of The Branch, New York

DISAPPOINTED

LA FITNESS SMITHTOWN NY I am writing to express my deep disappointment and frustration, shared by numerous members, friends, and family, regarding the current state of affairs at your gym. It pains me to report that the condition of the equipment and facilities has reached an unacceptable level, severely impacting our ability to enjoy and utilize the services provided.

First and foremost, the functionality of the equipment is severely compromised, with the majority of machines either non-operational or experiencing significant issues.

For instance, out of the eight stepper machines available, only one is in working condition, while the remaining seven have been marked for parts or service since December 2023. It is now February 2024, and regrettably, there has been no discernible progress in resolving these issues. This prolonged period of downtime not only hampers our workout routines but also reflects poorly on the gym's commitment to maintenance and member satisfaction.

Furthermore, the availability of essential equipment accessories, such as pins, is severely lacking. Many machines are missing pins, making it impossible for members to use them effectively.

This inconvenience forces members to waste time searching for pins or to forgo certain exercises altogether, detracting from the overall gym experience.

Additionally, I must highlight the poor condition of certain equipment, notably the arm curl machine. The cracked leather surface makes it uncomfortable and potentially unsafe for users, further diminishing the quality of our workouts.

Regrettably, these persistent issues have led me to explore alternative gym options, and I am not alone in this decision. Several friends and family members who share my frustrations are also considering leaving your gym in search of better-maintained facilities.

As a loyal member who values fitness and community, it saddens me to have reached this point. I implore you to take immediate action to address these concerns and restore the gym to a standard that aligns with the expectations of its members.

Timely repairs, regular maintenance checks, and improved communication regarding equipment status are essential steps in rebuilding trust and ensuring member satisfaction.

I sincerely hope that you will prioritize these matters and work diligently to rectify the situation.

Your swift response and commitment to improving the gym's facilities will not only retain existing members but also attract new ones, fostering a stronger and more vibrant fitness community.

Thank you for your attention to these urgent issues. I eagerly await your response and actions in this regard.

Pros:
  • Nice front desk

Preferred solution: WORKING EQUIPMENT IN THE GYM

User's recommendation: CHECK OTHER GYMS MAKE SURE EQUIPMENT IS FUNCTIONAL

David S Bou

Phil Babb Boca Raton Location is incompetent

I absolutely love L.A. Fitness in West Boca & Im posting this review not to complain about the gym but the importance of hiring the right people for management positions.

Ive noticed that the ellipticals are in need of repairs & parts.

9 out of 17 ellipticals have no cup holders, 2 have signs they dont work, many squeak/wobble & at least 1/2 have TV monitor problems, either fuzzy signal or no signal at all.

I tried to speak to new Ops mgr Phil Babb but he totally cut me off in mid sentence, said the machines are just fine & they were all just repaired.

I knew he was lying so I offered to show him the repairs that are needed. Phil got belligerent, confrontational & combative, stated he was just upstairs & worked out on every elliptical that very morning.

I was doing cardio for 2 hours & never saw him upstairs working out, the fact he would lie to a members face twice in such a short conversation tells me everything about Phils character.

When I asked Phil when can we expect all of the ellipticals to have cupholders, he responded that the ellipticals are all functional & walked away from me.

At this point I realized that contacting corporate may be a better choice.

When I informed corporate that Phil was not only unqualified for Ops manager position but also lacks basic social skills, they apologized & recommended I contact Luis.

Corporate stated Luis, supervises a few LA Fitness gyms in the area but they wouldnt provide his email or contact number as thats not the way LA Fitness operates (his name is Luis Garcia).

Since Ive never see Luis Garcia in the gym, I left my number & asked the employees to have him call me. I never heard from Luis.

Scheduling maintenance is not difficult & the Ops manager should be able to handle this very reasonable request.

When you have the wrong people in the wrong positions, customers/members are turned off & reflects very poorly on the company.

Hopefully this review will be seen by Luis & he can make the necessary changes & repairs at LA Fitness West Boca.

Pros:
  • Great gym
Cons:
  • Phil babb is incompetent
Micah R Qyw

Verified Buyer

Membership Cancellation

La Fitness - Membership Cancellation
La Fitness - Membership Cancellation - Image 2
Updated by user Oct 02, 2023

I heard horror stories of the cancellation policy and I regret to inform you all that they are unsympathetic even if you relocate to an area that does not have an LA fitness. Yikes.

Original review Oct 02, 2023
Good morning, to whom it may concern
I just got a fitness membership to ESporta through Grandview in Columbus, OH.
Due to some unforseen hospital visits and medical issues I have had to relocate to a small town in Kentucky called Mount Sterling. There does not appear to be an ESporta or LA fitness in this area.
Due to this, I must cancel my subscription until I return which may be years, if I return to Columbus at all. If you would be so kind as to instruct me on how I may cancel before I recommend ESporta and LA Fitness to my friends back in Columbus it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your understanding and future guidance,
Micah Rouse
Loss:
Cons:
  • Rude and unhelpful employee
  • Cancellation process

Preferred solution: Cancellation and full refund

User's recommendation: Yeah I would not recommend getting a membership here unless you plan on getting scammed

Guest

It tells you online how to cancel. The best way is to go in person. They will let you know what fees there are for canceling.

Thomas m Zzy

| map-marker San Antonio, Texas

Dogs not allowed in the gym

I went to the l a gym in san antonio yesterday afternoon at the evans rd location. Upon entering the front desk was busy and along with the other customers', a man came in with 3 dogs. The dogs were sniffing and jumping at the the customers at the counter. The owner of the dogs asked me if I was afraid of dogs because of the way I was looking at them. I said, no, but , I didn't know dogs were allowed in the gym, let alone 3 dogs. He said they were service dogs and that he could bring them in if he wanted to. The l a fitness employee agreed that he could and told him to enter. I continued on with saying that I could not believe that was possible and, if so, was there even a limit to how many one person could bring in. The employee told me there was no limit. The dog owner asked me if I was a lawyer or something and I stated no and that again this was shocking to me. He then told me to *** off! and continued into the gym.

I personally don't believe they were service dogs and , if so, by law only one should be necessary to assist the person. The one dog could be allowed in the gym if okayed by the manager, but, they cannot be around the pool, showers or gym equipment.

It's possible that they were instead emotional support dogs and, if so, they are not allowed in the gym by law at all.

Either way, the owner has to provide proper documentation of what the dogs are to the gym. I can only assume this has been done, but, again, if so, and only if it's a verified service dog, only one of them can be admitted.

I don't know the dog owner's name, but I'm sure the employee working at the time would know because of the situation.

Tomorrow, I will contact the gym manager and confront him about the situation, but, in the mean time, I would expect L A fitness corporate to rectify the situation.

Sincerely, Mike Maher

User's recommendation: make sure if a dog is in the gym it's a verified service dog and can't be around the pool, showers or gym equipment

Carle Vux

You run your mouth off and complain when the person swears at you.

reply icon Replying to comment of Carle Vux

the person swore at me because I did confront him about all the dogs. I didn't run my mouth off just because he swore at me. HE was the one that couldn't take it.

Carle Vux
reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2471033

The reason he swore at you was because you ran your mouth off telling him not to bring the dogs.

Guest

Do some research before you make stuff up and try passing it off as fact. The dog owner does not need to provide any paperwork. All the gym can ask is “is that a service animal and what task has he been trained to provide.”

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2470819

you think that just anyone can say they have a service dog and that's good enough? You must be a moron. They have to verify it idiot!

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2471035

Look it up dirt bag. Unfortunate as it is, that is the law. I didn’t say I agree with it.

View more comments (5)
Allan M Dsz

Complains

Im complaining about the Steam Room that hasnt been working since Sat., Mar. 2, 2024.

L.A.

Fitness in Carson & Cherry, Long Beach is their lone gym that has existing separate steam rooms for male & female clients, which gives me the reason of regular visits.

I dont sweat out easily with the dry sauna so its not working for me.

Plus the crowd of mixed gender is making me very uncomfortable, specially when all the sauna users start talking in their native languages (Spanish, Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc.) that always results in reverberating noise.

Its really disappointing if the issue was not addressed on the day it started. Its Monday, the 5th & the steam room is still not available.

The Staff I talked to was clueless about how long will it take for the steam room to function again.

Preferred solution: Utmost action.

Brannon Ohf

| map-marker Carrollton, Texas

Management services

I should have checked these reviews first before going to this gym. Henry the manager was rude, i cant believe all those bad reviews about this person and he still work as a manager. never again
Pros:
  • Nice place to workout
Cons:
  • Rude costumers service

Preferred solution: Nothing just do something about the people you guys have working for you costumer

William H Thw

Complaint

The Hot Tub at some of the facilities in Michigan have been inoperable for nearly to months! Now as one of the members who rely on the Hot Tub this is unacceptable service. You expect payment every month correct so I should to have access to all services when I walk into a Gold member Club!

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

Allan M Dsz

| map-marker Valley Village, California

Complain

lousy service & unprofessional staff. steam room not in service for 2 weeks now. not any of the employees have the faintest idea on when its gonna be back in service. i want a refund.

User's recommendation: choose other gym

map-marker Chicago, Illinois

Complaint for a worker

I have been a member for more than 7 years!! When they opened it near my neighborhood, I signed up.

I like it a lot. I can walk and I know a lot of neighbors. I like the classes and I made new friends. My complaint was that a few years ago the man who works in the afternoons started watching just doing I exercise every day, the rooms are dirty and he is always alone talking and exercising at a time when the gym is full and grabbing the machines that are for the members...

I decided to file a complaint after a few years and he told me that he is the one. best worker they have!! something that is a lie because I have never seen any other employee exercising and talking every day more than the afternoon man!

I know that after filing my complaint I will no longer be able to go to the gym because he and the manager are going to bother me. I'm going to cancel my membership and look for a new gym.

Super cool story

Marcelline Syr

GOOD FOR YOU.

View more comments (1)
Thomas m Zzy

| map-marker San Antonio, Texas

Dogs not allowed in the gym

I went to the l a gym in san antonio yesterday afternoon at the evans rd location. Upon entering the front desk was busy and along with the other customers', a man came in with 3 dogs. The dogs were sniffing and jumping at the customers at the counter. The owner of the dogs asked me if I was afraid of dogs because of the way I was looking at them. I said, no, but , I didn't know dogs were allowed in the gym, let alone 3 dogs. He said they were service dogs and that he could bring them in if he wanted to. The l a fitness employee agreed that he could and told him to enter. I continued on with saying that I could not believe that was possible and, if so, was there even a limit to how many one person could bring in. The employee told me there was no limit. The dog owner asked me if I was a lawyer or something and I stated no and that again this was shocking to me. He then told me to *** off! and continued into the gym.

Sincerely, Mike Maher

User's recommendation: don't let people bring their dogs into the gym, unless, it's one verified service dog. Even then, it, cannot be around the pool, showers or gym equipment.

map-marker Chicago, Illinois

Complaint I made about a worker

tengo mas de 7 años siendo member !! cuando lo abrieron cerca de mi barrio me inscribi me gusta mucho puedo ir caminando y conozco a muchos vecinos me gustan las clases e hise nuevas amistades..

mi queja fue que hace unos años el hombre que trabaja por las tardes, lo empese viendo solo haciendo ejercicio todos los dias , los salones sucios y el solo platicando y haciendo ejercicio siempre a la hora que el gym esta lleno y agarrando las maquinas que son para los members.. decidi poner la queja despues de unos años y me dijero que el es el mejor trabajador que tienen!! algo que es mentira porque jamas e visto a ninguna otra empleado haciendo ejercicio y platicando todos los dias mas que el señor de la tarde!

se que apartir de poner mi queja ya no podre ir al gym porque la encargada y el me van a molestar. voy a cancelar mi membrecia y buscar un nuevo gym.

Carlos L Yec

| map-marker West Covina, California

Horrible Customer Service

I Fell as if there sales team just don't wanna hear it...every question there unsure of an answer and everything is non negotiable...then I call corporate and I get a answering service...I honestly might as well go.back to.24hr Fitness..at least they answer questions and deals with problems
Loss:
Pros:
  • Cleanliness
Cons:
  • Everything else

Preferred solution: Better Customer Support, Be treated Fairly

User's recommendation: Absolutely Not

Jerelyn Ulz

| map-marker San Bernardino, California

To cancel a membership

I am now handicapped and can't walk. I need to cancel my membership. Please cancel immediately. Thank you

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article